It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Horrible Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:45 pm 

I'm a bit conflicted at the moment. I was within clicking distance of signing up and figured I should read some reviews others have written about your service.

They all mention a lot of downtime, and support that doesn't do any good.

In all fairness I'd like your side of the story. Why does everyone complain about lots of downtime when you claim to have 99.9% uptime? Why doesn't anyone have anything good to say about you? And what do you have to gain from free hosting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:16 pm 

I have found in the 2+ years that I have been with FreeHostia, that their service is far superior to other companies out there.

I started with a free hosting account, and then upgraded to a paid account. I am currently in my second year with the paid account.

In this amount of time, I have not had down times that I would get upset about. Any good company will occasionally take their servers offline for routine maintenance or upgrade. I expect this to happen and am glad to see that it gets done on a regular schedule.

As far as all of the complainers, I would imagine that they are those that are affected by various issues that they would know about if they took the time to read about the service before signing up with it.

There are areas of the world that FreeHostia blocks access to their servers from, and that is their prerogative to do so, in order to protect their servers and their customers information.

Also, there are times when past account holders would do something that violates the Terms of Service the agree to when the sign up.

I've had nothing but praise for FreeHostia and am happy to continue doing business with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:33 pm 

Thank you joslen10, you have definately influenced my thinking.

However, I can't help but wonder why freehostia staff have not responded...

I'm leaning towards signing up but I'm just really uncertain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:30 pm 

Lumit, what could they say to you? :)

sign up, try the free version, use it for a couple days/weeks and you'll see. i'm currently on free but planning to buy the Value package

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:29 pm 

Ok, I just have one other question. The domain is supposed to cost $9.95 per year correct?

Quote:
"3. DOMAIN REGISTRATION - Domain registrations is available at $19.95 per year. The domain registration services are provided by the domain registrar eNom Inc. on the behalf of Freehostia.com. Please note that domain registrations are final and cannot be refunded!
More detailed information regarding domain names can be found in the Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy."

-Freehostia TOS

What's up with that? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am 
Site Admin

The correct price for a domain name per year is: $9.95. This is our promotional price that we have at the present moment. The price that you have seen via the Terms of Services is the one before the promotion start.

Freehostia.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:07 pm 
Regular
Regular

best free hosting in the business.

there IS some downtime, but lately it's been minimal, it is generally due to having so many people with little experience in how to secure their sites, which is typical of any free hosting service.

support, i don't know where you could have heard anything bad, i've never seen support like here in all my years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:06 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

I have used free hostia to build one or two small sites as sub domains. .freehostia.com's.

I signed up to one of these free, monitor you site places. I think they said my site was down 15 minutes last month, in one consecutive period.

I don't complain at that considering it's free.

I am now hosting my domain here for free as I build it, and am still monitoring it. No problems.

I have spent a serious about of time researching paid hosts, and free hosts. There are others out there that offer more. But if you sign up, and stick around, you get to see some problems.

Having an open forum here can be a blessing and a curse. When people go to a forum it's usually because they have a problem. Hence you read complaints. When there is no problem, less complaints. Have a look at the dates people write in recently. There are usually long gaps, meaning not so many complaints. Which is good.

Other places I noticed want you to sign in every few weeks, or place banners or offer other strange things. Free hostia does exactly what it says.

Now, add on the great support. And you got a good service. When ever I have got stuck with a technical thing, albeit something I should know. Tech support have been there, within 20 mins, usually less.

The only things I would like to see better here would be a larger bandwidth allocation, both on free and the first package. And... well that's it really!

Ok, I wrote a long reply, no I don't work for them. Nor are they paying me to write this. An offer of a free package would be nice? :D

Anyway, I hope my experience of freehostia can help you. Feel free to PM me if you want any more details.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:03 pm 

i agree on the good support - i regged, didn't receive the confirmation email, posted that in this forum, and support told me how to proceed. setup was completed 10 minutes after that, the whole thing took about 30 minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:59 am 

my paid site has been down about 12 of the last 24 hours. first it wouldn't load at all now its ben giving mysql connection errors for the past 10-12 hours.

think anyone notified me my site was down.. no...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:38 am 

There is almost no downtime for the files hosted here. My websites do experience database downtime, however. The files that don't access the DB work perfectly every time I check. Occasionally, a few time a week, my site can't connect to the DB for a few minutes at a time.

Although, now that I think back, the past year has been much better for that than the first year I signed up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team