It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Beginner advice about file location for index or home
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 pm 

First, I'd like to apologise as no doubt for all of you this will be a stupid beginner question that I really should know.

However, I've watched videos and I can't seem to get this to work. On friday I learned how to build a web page from scratch and finished it, so as you can imagine my brain is bursting.

I'm not having problems uploading files, I understand how to do this. What I don't understand is where to upload your index or home html in order so that it comes up when someone types in your domain, eg www.domain.com, instead of them having to type in www.domain.com/index.

Also, I've known when you type a domain into a browser without the "www." at the start, most websites automatically send you to the domain, how do you do this?

Again I apologise for my stupidity, I've read through the beginners guide and can't find what I'm looking for, perhaps the problem is I am a little unsure of what I am looking for!

Thanks for any help :D

Post subject: Re: Beginner advice about file location for index or home
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:41 pm 

I knew it would be something stupid, I found out that the index file has to be a .html, my index was a .htm so it wasn't being recognised.

I had been putting everything in the right place, it was just the file format that was wrong.

Sorry about that, cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team