It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: E-mail with custom/offsite DNS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:52 am 

Hi,

I'm new to freehostia but I'd just like to say I'm amazed at the amount of features for a free host. Thanks to the guys that run it.

I have a domain that was originally hosted with afraid.org's FreeDNS service. I noticed that in the "hosted domains" section, of freehostia there's an option labeled "don't manage DNS for this domain".

At first I checked that, and kept my domain hosted with afraid.org's DNS. Everything was fine, until I tried to set up an e-mail account. I was sure to point the MX record to the correct smtp server (hex5.freehostia.com), but still all mail going to the new account was rejected with a '550 - relay access denied'.

I switched my domain to use freehostia's DNS, and everything works okay now. But, is there a way in which that configuration would work?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: E-mail with custom/offsite DNS
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:09 pm 

euphoric wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to freehostia but I'd just like to say I'm amazed at the amount of features for a free host. Thanks to the guys that run it.

I have a domain that was originally hosted with afraid.org's FreeDNS service. I noticed that in the "hosted domains" section, of freehostia there's an option labeled "don't manage DNS for this domain".

At first I checked that, and kept my domain hosted with afraid.org's DNS. Everything was fine, until I tried to set up an e-mail account. I was sure to point the MX record to the correct smtp server (hex5.freehostia.com), but still all mail going to the new account was rejected with a '550 - relay access denied'.

I switched my domain to use freehostia's DNS, and everything works okay now. But, is there a way in which that configuration would work?

Thanks.

Do this:

Go to afraid.org and switch your DNS servers, to whatever parked servers afraid.org uses. Then under the DNS info section on your freehostia account it shows the IP of the server you are hosted. Set your A record at afraid.org to this IP. Set your MX record at afraid.org to the freehostia mail server assigned to you (if you want freehostia to handle the mail service).

Now you can manage all your DNS at afraid.org, but have your site hosted at freehostia. Keep in mind though, let's say you add a subdomain here at freehostia, before it works you will have to add another A record to your DNS at afraid.org pointing that subdoamin to the ip hosting your site.

Leave your settings on freehostia as they are (let freehostia manage your DNS, although you have full control at afraid.org)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team