It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: PHP FTP file upload
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:01 am 

Hi,

I am trying to set up a database development site that allows users to upload files, but there is a 2mb limit on my server that I don't think I can change. It's a shared hosting account, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I've already tried .htaccess and it gave me a 500 error. I contact the hosting company to see if it was possible for them to change php.ini for me or something, I'm guessing they're gonna say no.

I was wondering if it would make a difference if I used FTP. Probably not, because the file still has to go through the form and get posted?

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

Btw, I am creating this for a very specific group of users (in an office) that are all using IE, which has built in support for ftp, right? Not sure what this entails, I don't use IE, but I read this in another thread. I'm going to look into that now.

Any thoughts on my large file upload dilemma are appreciated!

Thank!!

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:37 pm 
Regular
Regular

php is set up by default with the 2mb limit, if you have something bigger, then an ftp client is the answer, i guess ie could work, but a client like filezilla is recommended.
there is still a file size limit of 500KB regardless of how you upload the file.
(this is all in the faqs)
to get past the form issue, you can manually enter it in the database if thats how it works, or you could upload so small file, named the same as the big one using the form, then overwrite it with the ftp uploaded file.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team