It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Permissions for client upload of binary file
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 pm 

I wrote Perl code for the client upload of a binary image file and got it to work on the Apache offline emulator for my windows PC. Trying to use this code on FreeHostia I get the following error message:

Software error:
CGI open of tmpfile: Read-only file system

For help, please send mail to the webmaste ({email: "support at freehostia dot com}),
giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

My research on the Internet indicates that Perl creates a temporary file of the binary file before storing it in the target folder but needs a temporary folder to put it in that has the appropriate UNIX permissions (ie. 777). I created a tmp file in my own space (permission 777) but that does not work even when I include in the code the CGI pragma that searches for this very file as a temporary file. I read on one web page that all the permissions in the directory structure leading to the temporary file must be 777 for the 'tmp' file to function as a receiver for the temporary file but the 'www' directory in my space is 755 and I cannot change it.

My Perl code stops and generates the error message when it reaches the following command:

my $query = new CGI;

I would appreciate anyone's help in telling me what I am missing.

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject: Solution to Problem.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 pm 

After being in contact with some very nice people at Perl Monks, I seem to have found enough of a solution to this problem to allow my image uploads to occur on Freehostia.

First, a directory named 'tmp' has to be added to the root directory of the domain with permissions set at '777'.

Second, code that appears below has to be added to the script before the 'use CGI;' command appears:

BEGIN{
$ENV{'TMPDIR'} = "/home/www/mydomain.com/tmp";
}

Part one adds a directory to the domain with correct permissions so that the CGI module will have a place to put its temporary image file while it is being uploaded. Part two makes the temporary directory known to the CGI module by declaring it in the ENV hash after it is passed to the cgi script uploading the image file. The CGI module specifically looks in the ENV hash to find a place to put its temporary file. The CGI module apparently can't see the 'tmp' directory without this ENV entry even though it is supposed to look for it.

Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team