It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: funny bug with Ireland
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:48 pm 

This has got to be the most bizarre glitch I have ever had to deal with. I know this situation is best suited for the author of the scripts (Shop Mod and Bank Mod), but he or she seems to have vanished. So I'll describe the problem and if anyone has any insights, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I added Shop Mod 3.0.6 to my PHPBB 2.0.22 forum and everything was nice and smooth. I set up two shops - the first with generic sprites and the second with country flags. A couple users purchased the flag of Ireland for which the file name was Ireland.gif and the shop item name was Ireland. Other flags were purchased as well by these two and by others users. A week went by with no posting problems for anyone.

I then added Bank Mod 2.0.1 and soon afterwards things went haywire. I still don't really know if there's a connection with Bank Mod however. For any thread where the text Ireland is present, the whole thread instead loads as the lovely "51" screen. Even the user profiles for the two users who purchased Ireland loaded as "51" (which is how I narrowed it down to Ireland). Turning off the bank seems to make no difference and neither of the problem accounts had a chance to use it at all. The bank appears to function properly.

So I deleted the Ireland item from their inventory and also from the flag shop. All the messed up threads then showed up correctly once more and I thought I was victorious (thinking the item was the problem). But alas I found it's actually the text Ireland that evokes the "51" screen. I've searched my forum files for any script that has Ireland in the hopes of locating a conflict, but have found nothing.

Anyone have any idea why my forum is now discriminating against Ireland and what the fix would be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:36 am 
I am very sorry about this, it is caused by one of our content filter.
The word Ireland in there causes this but there are other words which, when found in the same page as Ireland cause this.
Please check your PM to see the words, I am not posting them here as we are trying to prevent phishing sites from going smart and aviding our content filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:47 am 

Makes sense. Thanks.

Very timely and diligent responses from Technical Support. That is all very much appreciated.

I am quite displeased about how this filter erroneously catches my forum's innocent bank mod (not at all a real bank nor a phishing site), but all well. The forum can function without the mod.

Thanks again. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:27 am 
Don't mention it, we are here to help (:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:33 am 

*sigh*

Even though the forum mod is completely gone (including all modifications to original php files), the problem from a combination of two specific words persists. It's absurd really. A public forum where these two VERY COMMON words can't be used in a thread... absurd. So absurd I find it hard to believe it's just the filter kicking in. Certainly this problem would have cropped up for many other phpbb admins. Any other insights into why things have gone awry pertaining to two particular and common words?

And yes I reopened the ticket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team