It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Comments at bottom of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 am 

I would like to allow users of my site to add comments at the bottom of the pages. I am not sure how to implement this. Must I use a blog or could I just use the MJguest guestbook? I have 17 pages so I'd like to implement this on each page. What Elefante script do you recommend me to install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

In this situation I would advise you to install Wordpress blog or any other offered blog script in our Elefante automatic installer like b2evolution.
Also if you want you can install Joomla CMS in your hosting account and to add one of the following plugins to it:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ction/blog

Please let us know, if you have any other questions or problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 am 

I guess with the Elefante scripts I cannot use my old file names. So my pages will go down on the search engines rankings. This is why I need a solution that implements some script on the existing pages. Of course, this must be a script that can handle MySQL. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Could you please provide me with more detailed information about your website scripts, then I will be able to assist you further regarding this matter. Also I would advise you to search in Google for compatible "wordpress bridges" with your current site scripts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:12 pm 

I'd like to use the comment php script from http://www.scripts.oldguy.us/talkback/

According to the guide on this site, one has to:
Quote:
Create a mySQL database named “talkback” or other name of your choice. If you don’t know how to do this contact your web host’s technical support. The mySQL user that you assign to the database must have these permissions: SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, ALTER, INDEX, DROP

I installed a database but I did not find out how to assign a user. Is this even possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:05 pm 

Ok, apparently talkback does not work on freehostia. Now I installed Commentics, which works well. However, it uses the php mail() function to send subscription activation to commenters. As I am in the free account, sending emails is not supported, which I understand. This is why I set the mx record to aspmx.l.google.com. Will mail() work with this? Please answer this at least. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ulrich wrote:
Ok, apparently talkback does not work on freehostia. Now I installed Commentics, which works well. However, it uses the php mail() function to send subscription activation to commenters. As I am in the free account, sending emails is not supported, which I understand. This is why I set the mx record to aspmx.l.google.com. Will mail() work with this? Please answer this at least. Thanks.

Yes, you should not face any problem to send mails via phpmail() , if you set an external MX records for your domain like Google MX. Bear in mind that our system does not support multiple MX records, therefore I would advise you to set the Google MX with a highest priority for your domain.

Also please note that you will have to set either the "TO" or the "FROM" filed of your e-mail form to be an operational e-mail address created with your account with us, so the mail form could be operational.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 am 

After more than 2 days with the MX record set to aspmx.l.google.com, the test php script

Code:
<?php
mail('myname@yahoo.com', 'Test mail', 'Hello! This is a simple email message.');
?>

does still not sent anything to myname (at) yahoo.com (a working email on Yahoo I don't want to reveal here). The Google Apps works since some days so I don't know where is the problem. :roll:

widwool wrote:
Also please note that you will have to set either the "TO" or the "FROM" field of your e-mail form to be an operational e-mail address created with your account with us, so the mail form could be operational.

I don't quite understand: An operational email adress created with Freehostia means that I have to set the MX record to mbox.freehostia.com. Since there is only one MX record, how then can I set it at the same time to gmail?

I would really greatly appreciate clear instructions about this.

Post subject: Re: Comments at bottom of page
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 am 

Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team