It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Manage DNS elsewhere
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:43 pm 

Hi. The other day I noticed that the freehostia nameservers were down which meant that I could't recieve e-mail. I have noticed the option that says "don't manage DNS for this domain".

How would I go about having my domain listed on a different name server and pointing it to this account. Is this possible.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:46 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

Yes it is possible. My DNS is managed by 123-reg.co.uk, who I registered the domain with.

It means that the nameservers for my domain are 123-reg's. I then just put the A record for my domain to point to freehostia - for me it was 64.72.112.14. If you log-in to the control panel and look at the subdomain manager page you should see the IP address you need to point to.

Let me know if you need more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:38 pm 

Thanks Sparky. Im also with 123-reg. Iv done it and its propagated straight away and all is working well. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:59 am 

Is anybody out there using third-party DNS? It is not clear to me that such a setup still works on Freehostia.

After setting my A record to the IP address listed in the Freehostia control panel, I end up at a directory below my files. To get to my web site, I have to click on a directory named after my domain.

The assigned IP address seems unique but does not resolve properly, so Freehostia is using the the host header to identify my domain. Other shared hosting services also use that information to get to the right place on the server. For some reason, I end up in the wrong directory.

Would anyone know how to fix it?

I have reasons for using my existing name servers and would prefer not to change them.

Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team