It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: GoDaddy and Freehostia
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:14 pm 

Ok, this will take a little bit of explaining first:

First off, Freehostia is one of the best free hosts I've used. I am trying to start the basics of the website I'm trying to build going with the free hosting, and will upgrade later if/when things go well. However, the first thing I have to do is get my domain name working.

I registered my domain through Google Apps (www.google.com/a), who in turn registered it through GoDaddy. I specifically registered the domain through Google because of the Gmail accounts I get that use my domain name (user@domain.com). Now, I much prefer Gmail to any mail client I've ever used. However, there's a bit of a snag in my plan.

GoDaddy and Freehostia won't cooperate correctly for me to get my Freehostia site on the www. subdomain. So, in essence, my problem is as follows:

If I set the DNS to {dns1.freehostia.com | dns2.freehostia.com}, I lose my ability to use Gmail for the mail accounts. However, if I set it back, I lose the ability to use Freehostia as my www server. Thus, does anyone know if there is a way to set either the GoDaddy IP records to Freehostia's server, or to forward Freehostia's "MX" records to Google's server (I believe it is ghs.google.com, but this is what they have on my GoDaddy DNS control panel).

If it helps any, would it make more sense to do something like Park the domain? I actually don't quite know what this does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:14 pm 

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm changing the DNS settings, so in about 24-48 hours, I'll see what I can do with the mail servers.

Once again, Freehostia is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:53 am 
Getting Started
Getting Started

I bought a domain through 123-reg.co.uk, they control the DNS records. I point it at freehostia with an A record. I then added a "www" CNAME record of "mydomain.com." which means you can access my site identically with or without the "www".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:11 am 

Both are good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:17 pm 

Quote:
I bought a domain through 123-reg.co.uk, they control the DNS records. I point it at freehostia with an A record. I then added a "www" CNAME record of "mydomain.com." which means you can access my site identically with or without the "www".

Again, not trying to bump a thread, but just some knowledge I wanted to pass along. Most web hosts do this as default, so I don't want readers to come on here thinking they have to do extra to get people access to their domian. Once you have a domain, the user actually doesn't have to type the subdomain unless it is different than www, although if you really do want a unique subdomain you need to run compatibility tests with you email marketing software to make sure everything is functioning.

Last edited by venerablehost on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 am 

sparky_132 wrote:

The CNAME records are a pointer to another name already in DNS. Therefore, if you have added a www CNAME to your website, all users will be able to see your website without typing the full www.domainname.extension.
Please note that CNAME records must be terminated with a full stop or they will not work correctly.
For CNAME records, you still have to wait up to 24-48 hours for the propagation.

Post subject: Re: GoDaddy and Freehostia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:54 am 

Once you have a domain, the user actually doesn't have to type the subdomain unless it is different than www, although if you really do want a unique subdomain you need to run compatibility tests with you email marketing software to make sure everything is functioning.

Last edited by hnoor0011 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:25 pm 

I'm having a similar issue and tried locating the "custom DNS tools" that were mentioned but I can't find them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:07 pm 

Hello,

You can modify the DNS record of your domains from the control panel by going to My Domains -> DNS Records:
https://cp.freehostia.com/dns/records/

If you are having issues with their modification, please open a ticket to our Support Department from the control panel of your hosting account so that our team can assist you properly. You can open a ticket by hovering the mouse button over the Help Center button and selecting My Tickets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team