It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestion concerning country-wide IP bans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:27 am 

Greetings,

I tried to sign up for your free services and noticed the IP range is blocked.

The support replied that it was due to abuse of your free hosting servcies and I inquired m ISP.

As I expected, there were no attempts the last few weeks to register at Freehostia.com from IP ranges of my current ISP.

The conclusion is this: you ban the whole country.

What is worse, you ban also the attempts to sign up for paid services. This is purely non-professional approach: when one pays, one accepts ToS/AUPs/etc and is bound by them, and suffers possible misuse of the resources.

To me, this is offensive - to be counted as possible troublemakers just because I am a citizen of a certain country, regardless of whether I use paid services or not.

I won't post free resources links here, since it would be somewhat dishonest, but I assure you: there are many free hosting providers without such limitations and with very quick and reliable servers.

So the suggestion is: implement 'premoderated' signups for free resources from 'dubious' countries - let the user show you the entire site contents before allowing them to join your community.

I wish you luck and prosperous year.

All the best,

Konstantin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:28 am 

The reason for country wide bans i've learned from my experience in web hosting is people for that area set up sites that are there for the pure reason to be dDoSed, or host illegal content, so they have to ban the whole area. Which i guess you totally understand.

I'm sure the owners and support put the IP restriction in as a last possible hope to stop the attacks on the servers, a company i once worked for blocked all sign ups AND viewings from Braziil as a very last hope, and it worked. The global area ban is the best way of keeping control of the attacks, even though people do get upset.

Maybe the paid section should be looked at again for the restrictions, although it might be a global function of the script only.

For your suggestion there is one problem on a whole with that idea, most sites are made actually on the host, so how do you show the ones that are not yet made, also that would take up a fair bit of man power, and people would complain about the waiting process.

Regards
Mr Waller :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:44 am 

Hi Josh,

Hosters may enforce any possible restrictions, that's their right. And it would be childish just to complain about 'unfairness'. I only would like to offer the way to host free sites with interesting and attractive content. There are so many hosters, it is possible to find one suitable in approx. 1-2 hours of efforts ("look in proper places"). So no hard feelings here, of course. I can only sign up for a free hosting just to test the features, since I have lots of hosting resources for my projects already.

The premoderated way of allowing new users can result in gathering a smaller, but much more interesting collection of non-standard 'pure home pages with lots of photoes, ubiquitous guestbooks and the like'.

It's just my opinion, nothing more.

Thanks for understanding.

With all respect,

Konstantin

Post subject: About the Country ban
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:40 am 
I have a question.
Is Venezuela and Mexico banned too?
Because all the people from this countrys cant enter to my forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:05 am 
Support Tech
Support Tech

Yes, I think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:36 pm 
Ergg... I hate this, like banning whole countries.
Why can't people just be good and not ruin it for the rest of 'em? Well, thats life i'm afraid.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team