It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Noob Questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:21 am 
Hi, I'm considering using a freeweb and registering a .com name. But I'm relatively new to this game even although I do have a website on Geocites, but it is very unreliable. Although it's unreliable, its has 'page builder' which makes it easy to design your site. Does freehostia provide a similar service?

Also, it is possible to have a forum and chatroom on the site? If so, are they easy to create?

Like I said, I'm a novice at this unless there is a simple builder program inbuilt.

Thanks

Vince

Post subject: Re: Noob Questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:47 pm 

Vince wrote:
Hi, I'm considering using a freeweb and registering a .com name. But I'm relatively new to this game even although I do have a website on Geocites, but it is very unreliable. Although it's unreliable, its has 'page builder' which makes it easy to design your site. Does freehostia provide a similar service?

Also, it is possible to have a forum and chatroom on the site? If so, are they easy to create?

Like I said, I'm a novice at this unless there is a simple builder program inbuilt.

Thanks

Vince

FreeHostia does not offer a PageBuilder feature such as the one on Geocities. Chatrooms or shoutboxes can be installed on these servers.
You can easily install a forum by using the FREE elefante scripts offered in the members' control panel. I don't think it is a good idea to have both a forum AND a chatroom though as they both serve pretty much the same use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:07 pm 

Quote:
I don't think it is a good idea to have both a forum AND a chatroom though as they both serve pretty much the same use.

I disagree (slightly). On a subject/project oriented discussion board, you don't always want to have a section for chat. A chatroom could be used for just general communication and socialization. Also, chatrooms don't load up the database, because you can set it only to remember the last X many posts or whatever. Why have a million different topics on random stuff when you can have a chatroom that is a lot more interactive for the user and doesn't waste much space in the database?

As for a page builder, how much of a jump is it from what Geocities offers and what the Frontpage software does? Or, for that matter, any of the content management scripts? (Please bare in mind that I am literally asking for an answer. I'm not being rhetorical. I mostly use Notepad for my web-developing needs, and I only used Geocities once a long time ago.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:18 am 

I knew that would've been controversial. Good points and maybe thats why the user is asking if (s)he could install a forum and a chatroom...

I used Geocities back when I first started my 'career' in web design and I have to admit PageBuilder seemed easier then FrontPage - but I'll admit there wasn't many differences...
But remember, not everyone can afford (or pirate) Microsoft FrontPage... So another free WYSIWYG web composer I can recommend is: NVU.

By the way, Uncle_Whizzy, technically the latest version of Microsoft's web designer program isn't called FrontPage... Its "Microsoft Expression"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team