It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Some Questions about Basic package (watercircle)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 am 
Getting Started
Getting Started

Hello,

I was going to ask these questions regarding the old package, but just noticed the new deals. Not sure about those names by the way!

Anyway, I started my website with free hostia, and by and large have been quite happy. The only thing that worried me was when you moved recently, with no notice. And the lack of announcements made in forums. It still reads like you are moving? Anyway, since then the up time, and performance have been excellent. And as alway

The other main complaint is the lack of bandwidth resets every month.

As my site expands I am looking at upgrading very soon. And so have a couple of questions that have not been covered in a while.

1. I note that if a upgrade now, I have only a few months left before having to renew my account. So I only have to pay for 4 months. Do you send out a reminder before an account expires?

2. If one has only 3 months left before an account expiring, can you renew then. Thereby having 15 months before the next renew needed.

3. I've read through the plan comparisons. With the basic package Watercircle what are the advantages over free hosting aside from what is stated. Things like hotlinking - in the free package it cannot be turned off. Correct? Like wise on the basic package one can have a full SMTP email service correct? Are there any other things like this that gives a Freehostia basic watercircle package and advantage over free?

4. Wordpress 2.7??? You are still on 2.5.1. There's a big difference at this stage. The last time someone asked this question it was about 2.6 and freehostias response was was that you were waiting to see any bugs with it before installing it. Well... we waited so long it's now 2.7! Is it such an issue to upgrade this on your servers? There's been virtually no issues with it, or 2.6. Also, a lot of new plugins and the like no longer function for 2.5, so we're stuck with an old system.

5. Full site back up, including WP, is this an option? I don't see it on the CP, is it only on paid?

6. I see it's possible to upgrade with paypal. How long does this take? And is there anything else required like a phone call etc?

Okay that's 6 questions, which contain a lot. So I'll hand it over to you guys now. And come back with any follow ups or new things I can think of.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:45 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

Quote:
We have sent a notification to all our clients as we have started the migration to our new data center. There was a notification in the forum, too.

You gave one/two days notice via email and forum. Not much notice by any means. Plenty of users responded about this issue.

Quote:
1. As the expiration date of an account is close a notification will be sent to our client to the email used for the hosting account registration.

When does the notification for out? One month before, one week?

Quote:
4. The updates of the scripts provided in the Elefante installer tool are performed by our administrators and developers per their decision. You may update your scripts manually from your end.

Okay, can you please explain how to upgrade to WP 2.7 manually then?

Quote:
6. The upgrade is performed almost immediately after we receive the payment and contact our client over the phone if this is his/her first mayment.

Okay once the payment is made via paypal, do you make the calls to non-US clients too? And how long before the phone call?

One other question. Once someone signs up to a plan. And then freehostia introduces a new one eliminating the old one. Does the client have to upgrade, or does the old plan stay in force. For example your basic plan was $1.95 approx, now the watercircle one is $2.93 approx, its a dollar more for a 1 gb more. If someone had signed up to the old plan, would they be able to continue it until expiry, or are they having months cut off or the like? I ask this for future reference before signing up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

Quote:
Regarding the migration procedure I have to inform you that we were notified two days before out former data center went out of business. We did our best in this situation and according to my previous experience we did everything great with minimum downtime for our clients sites. I will not argue regarding this situation.

That's the first time I have seen a full explanation of what actually happened. It makes a lot more sense now. I think if this had been explained when it happened then less people would have complained.

Like I said from the start, I think the service here is very good. And since you moved it the physical service seems to have improved even more.

Quote:
1. There are 3 notifications for the expiration of our clients accounts. The first is two weeks before the account expires.

Okay, again I think from a customer service stand point it would be good to have it sent out a month before hand. But it's fine as I think it's also up to a website owner to take some responsibility.

Quote:
4. Here is a link to a complete explanation on how to perform a manual update of your WP installation:

Thank you, I was not aware a user could upgrade. I thought it had to come from your end.

As per the link:
Does my account either free or basic support
* PHP 4.3 or greater?
* MySQL 4.0 or greater?
* The mod_rewrite Apache module?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:03 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

Okay that's good news. Thanks for that.

I'll give it a bash once I have a decent connection. I'll leave the upgrade alone until after the holidays. But I'm seeing good things from Freehostia these days.

Thanks for the answering all those questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team