It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Should questionable words be censored indiscriminately?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
No 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Naughty Word Filter? Not very smart.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 am 

Dear Forum,

I have the free Chocolate account. I've been with Freehostia for a month or so (since I heard about the demise of Geocities). The service was suggested to me by several online users. I haven't had a single problem with them until I noticed that one of my pages was displaying only a gray screen with the # 35., and nothing more!

Well, I can tell you I went quite mad trying to figure out what was wrong. I checked and rechecked the HTML code. As a last resort I went over the text to see if there were any questionable words (in case there were some type of word filter employed).

The page in question has a poem on it by Vladimir Nabokov, the author of Lolita: Humbert's "Wanted" Poem. I discovered, to my amazement, it was the word Lolita that was causing the page not load.

I think this type of censorship is disgraceful. I you are going to censor something, make sure you are censoring actual objectionable material -- and not references to legitimate books, poems, medical terms and their like.

Maybe I should start looking for a new host, again. Damn you, Yahoo! (can I say, Damn?) for killing Geocities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:50 pm 

That is unfortunate, indeed.

Please cancel my free Chocolate account Client ID: 906970

Sincerely,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:26 am 

WTF? Censorship? Great. How about giving us a LIST of things that are censored? And what about a discount for those of us who paid for webhosting and not a nanny? I don't recall seeing any notice about censorship when you guys were taking my money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team