It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upocoming PHP upgrade on FreeHostia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 am 

Sorry - "insensibly"?

So is the version of Wordpress which you currently supply, the latest version of Wordpress. Are we obliged to upgrade to the latest version if not?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 am 
Site Admin

crookedcat wrote:
Sorry - "insensibly"?

So is the version of Wordpress which you currently supply, the latest version of Wordpress. Are we obliged to upgrade to the latest version if not?

Thanks

Yes, insensibly, meaning that will not be a service impacting procedure and after a refresh the sites would be working with the new upgraded versions.

As for the Wordpress, the current version we offer is 3.2.1 , even though the 3.3 came out, but we are still testing it and we will be updating it soon. In case you are using 3.2.1 , you should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 am 
Site Admin

We would like to inform you that after a successful upgrade of the PHP yesterday we found that most of our customers are still using old scripts versions that are not compatible withe the newer PHP.

For our customers convenience we have decided to return to the previous server environment so you can have the time to upgrade the softwares that you are using to the latest available versions.

Also, we will be including some additional server software improvements along with the PHP update to improve the servers performance.

We will keep you posted on the procedure in this topic.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:21 pm 

Why there is no information about this in CP or by e-mail?

In CP I can change php version. Does it mean that I am not forced to upgrade, can I simply choose old compatible version for my needs?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:16 pm 

Agreed.

Whilst an announcement was posted up to the the CP, I think that an email to all members would have been an invaluable way of communicating an essential message. This is particularly the case when you say that:

"We would like to inform you that after a successful upgrade of the PHP yesterday we found that most of our customers are still using old scripts versions that are not compatible withe the newer PHP.

For our customers convenience we have decided to return to the previous server environment so you can have the time to upgrade the softwares that you are using to the latest available versions."

Would it not be appropriate to communicate this to your customers, directly by email, of this?
Whilst many of your customers make use of your free hosting package, there are those who pay for additional packages with you. Whilst we understand that a service cannot be agreed to be available - or 'up' 100% of the time - we should be directly communicated to when there is an intention that our services/business/websites may be affected.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 am 

As a paying customer, would like to say that since you "rolled" back the update, service has not been very good, I say do the upgrade, and if customers are not up to date with their software, it sure wont take them long. As most sites like to be kept upgraded for various good reasons, the ones that do this should not be punished for the ones that dont do regular updates.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:12 am 

Let’s take a look at PHP versions usage statistics. Less then 15% uses PHP 5.3. It’s not much, isn’t it? PHP 5.2 is the most popular.
A lot of old Freehostia customers (since 2005) have sites with outdated, not supported scripts and CMS. They paid for many years and helped Freehostia to develop. I think it’s not wise to rush into PHP 5.3 if Freehostia can’t support old customers. Consider that it is much easier and quicker to migrate to another hosting then do upgrades manually. It’s not so hard to find hosting with proper PHP support. You can gain something with this upgrade, but also you can loose a lot. There is only one right answer - proper support of all PHP versions (4, 5.2 and 5.3).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:03 pm 

I want them to get input that is not almost no English and therefore I write it comes from a translation via web, so expect me to understand. In November I've had problems with the changes made ​​and a full written in php stopped working. I solved momentarily switch back to php4 from the control panel freehostia until, after opening a ticket, the service technician Freehostia I solved the problem. Today I noticed that the plug is re-emerging inoperative and error messages. I switched to php4, but this time does not work not even momentarily. I go back to open another ticket and am awaiting their decision, hoping it does not happen to change the PHP code as it is a complement that long is not supported and I have no idea of ​​PHP, so I could not change the code myself. The complement me perfectly and worked perfectly fulfilled its mission, so I have hope that solve the issue promptly, so that visitors to my site can continue to have the information they provided. My site is http://rmaja.freehostia.com and the section has stopped working is http://rmaja.freehostia.com/Clasificacion.html. regards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 pm 

Agreed.

Why there is no information about this in CP or by e-mail

Windsor Hills

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 am 

i'm beginner in php, now i wanna up my wordpress to freehostia host, pls help me

it my site : http://w88bet.info running by blogspot and and want convert to wordpress use free host of freehostia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:30 am 

hellrazor wrote:
crookedcat wrote:
Sorry - "insensibly"?

Thanks

Yes, insensibly, meaning that will not be a service impacting procedure and after a refresh the sites would be working with the new upgraded versions.

As for the Wordpress, the current version we offer is 3.2.1 , even though the 3.3 came out, but we are still testing it and we will be updating it soon. In case you are using 3.2.1 , you should be fine,

Why there is no information about this in CP or by e-mail?

In CP I can change php version. Does it mean that I am not forced to upgrade, can I simply choose old compatible version for my needs?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

Hello,

As long as your website is compatible with older PHP versions you can indeed change it through the control panel. You can always change it later in case you notice troubles. You can also open a trouble ticket through the corresponding hosting account for our technical support assistance.

Best Regards,
Damon Felix

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team Go to page 1, 2  Next