It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Website suspended due to gigantic jump in bandwidth usage
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm 

On Thursday I received a mail saying that my site on FreeHostia had been suspended due to high bandwidth usage. I've had my site up on FreeHostia since about 2007, and this is the first time this has happened. So I logged into my Control Panel on freehostia.com to check out the bandwidth stats and found this:

What's also strange is this e-mail I received some weeks ago, on January 1:
Quote:
Your hosting account (my account name) has currently used 4518.38 MB of traffic.
The total available monthly bandwidth for your hosting plan is 5000.00 MB.
You are currently using 90.37 % of this monthly bandwidth.

How did the site use 4.5 GB of traffic on just one day? I would really appreciate if someone could please help me solve this mystery.

Post subject: Re: Website suspended due to gigantic jump in bandwidth usag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

Could you please open a new ticket from your hosting account and let us know in the ticket system, so we can escalate the case to our administrators, if necessary.

Thank you,
Jimmy Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:54 pm 

I had the same problem twice during last 3 month. Usage statistics in CP showed average traffic (30-40 MB), Google Analytics detected usual amount of visitors and hits, but traffic statistics showed more then 6 GB for certain day. I have opened ticket and administrator reset my traffic statistics. Problem solved, but it’s seems to me that this kind of bug will persist. BTW it’s also happened only with my old account. Several new accounts work just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm 

vandersur wrote:
I had the same problem twice during last 3 month. Usage statistics in CP showed average traffic (30-40 MB), Google Analytics detected usual amount of visitors and hits, but traffic statistics showed more then 6 GB for certain day. I have opened ticket and administrator reset my traffic statistics. Problem solved, but it’s seems to me that this kind of bug will persist. BTW it’s also happened only with my old account. Several new accounts work just fine.

I can confirm same issue with statistic in last few months . CP doesn't reset automaticly bandwidth. I will wait February 1st to see what will happen and then open troubleshoot ticket if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm 

I've been having the same problem for the last few months, my account getting suspended due to high traffic but no other indication that I'm actually getting high traffic. Google analytics says that I'm just getting a few hits a day. There are things this can't test (e.g. SVGZ files - which I have a lot of). I'm not getting people clicking on my adverts or emailing me about the site either. I tryed opening a help ticket and just got a reply saying that I should upgrade my account to get better web stats. This seems to be a conflict of interest with the technical support - i.e. suggesting something that will require me paying and may not solve the problem rather than actually helping. I also thought this was mean spirited as I was sugesting a bug or security problem with their system.

I've also noted a few odd things like getting some traffic while my account is suspended and on one day getting 0 traffic (according to freehostia) when Google analytics registered several hits.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do about this as freehostia tech support isn't helping :!:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:05 pm 

Burton wrote:
will strongly advise you to open a trouble ticket from your account control panel. We do help in such cases and if you follow my advise your problem will be solved permanently.

Well I tried that and just got another unhelpful replay saying that traffic was being calculated properly and I must really have had a huge increase in traffic. Clearly I'm not getting generally increased traffic to the site as it has to be something Google Analytics can't detect (or I haven't thought of monitoring or don't know how to monitor) and which doesn't cause people to click on my adverts, contact me or vote for my web comic on web comic sites.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:48 am 

Sedum wrote:
or I haven't thought of monitoring or don't know how to monitor

You can also check your Usage Statistics in CP. It shows traffic information in details (which files/pages were downloaded/visited).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 pm 

Burton wrote:
Could you please send your account username in a Private Message to me so I will check this problem from our end?

I PM'd Burton my username a while back and I haven't heard anything since. My account was re-activated at the beginning of the month and has got 746.16 MB of traffic in 2 days according to Freehostia but only 15 page hits according to Google Analytics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Kindly excuse us for the extensive delay in answering your request.
We have review your account case. The account is now active and properly operational, since the traffic quota was reset at the begging of this month. Revising the statistics for the account it appears you have reached the allowed traffic quota in previous months on 10th, 14th or 28th, which seems to be an increase over the traffic on your website. We have consulted with our administrators and traffic quota for the account is properly calcualted. Unfortunately there are no detailed logs kept for the account and we can not provide details on what is the exact reason for the increase. It could be some crawler bot generating the traffic for example. Only premium hosting plans include detailed web statiscs for customers websites.
If there is anything else we can help with, feel free to write.

Freehostia.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm 

I noticed that I've been getting a lot of comments in my guestbook for about as long as this problem's been going on. Previously nobody had left any comments in it. All the comments had links but as far as I could tell from a brief look, nothing suspicious. I deleted the guestbook yesterday and my traffic fell by 90%. I don't understand this and perhaps it's a blip but it looks as if the guestbook was a big part of the problem.

Do people with similar problems have guestbooks :?:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm 

Sedum wrote:
Do people with similar problems have guestbooks :?:

No. In my case it was simply some bug in traffic statistics and administrator confirmed it. In your case you've created such problem and it's your fault.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 am 

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do about this as freehostia tech support isn't helping :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team