It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: secure ftp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:25 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

I have ftp access at ftp.freehostia.com, but I wondered if you provide any method of securely (encrypted) uploading files? I guess sftp is not an option because it uses ssh and you don't grant ssh access. What about ftps (ftp over ssl)?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: secure ftp
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:39 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

I received an answer to my support request.

In short: FTPS is supported with Explicit TLS (AUTH TLS command is issued on a regular FTP session to upgrade it to a secure one).
To quickly test (on a Mac):
Code:
curl -u <username> -v --ssl-reqd ftp://ftps.freehostia.com

You can also use hosts ftps[1-5].us.freehostia.com but due to the wildcard certificate *.freehostia.com you will also need to supply the '--insecure' flag to ignore certificate validation.

Here's the full reply from the support ticket:
Quote:
FTP/S commonly runs on port 990 and sometimes on port 21, the primary difference being that port 990 is an Implicit FTP/S, and port 21 is an Explicit FTP/S. If a client connects to an FTP/S server on port 990, the assumption is that the client intends to perform SSL. Therefore, the SSL handshake takes place immediately; it is referred to as Implicit because the port number implies security. FTP clients who connect on port 21 and intend to use SSL for security will need to take the extra step to explicitly state their intentions by sending an AUTH SSL or AUTH TLS command to the server. Once the server receives this command, the two parties perform an SSL handshake and enter a secure state—hence why port 21 is referred to as Explicit. This allows the client the opportunity to activate greater security when necessary, or speed the process up on less security-sensitive file transfers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 am 

"you will also need to supply the '--insecure' flag to ignore certificate validation."

doesnt this imply that the connection will not be secure, if the certificate is not going to be validated?

also is it possible to use these settings to connect via Filezilla?
also why isnt this information in the FAQ? if it is, i couldnt find it anywhere

cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Please open a trouble ticket from your account with us and provide us so we will be able to review this case for you and assist you further. You will be able to do this via the Open a New Ticket button of your account control panel Help Center section at the top right corner in Hosting Control Panel.

Freehostia.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm 
Getting Started
Getting Started

steve123 wrote:
doesnt this imply that the connection will not be secure, if the certificate is not going to be validated?

The connection will still be encrypted, but, yes, the certificate will not be validated. If you want to ensure security then use the top level hostname ftps.freehostia.com. I was only providing the others for completeness.

Yes FileZilla supports it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 pm 

sparky_132 wrote:
steve123 wrote:
doesnt this affordable teeth whitening kits list imply that the connection will not be secure, if the certificate is not going to be validated?

The connection will still be encrypted, but, yes, the certificate will not be validated. If you want to ensure security then use the top level hostname ftps.freehostia.com. I was only providing the others for completeness.

Yes FileZilla supports it.

So with freehostia you get everything, including the certificate validation?

Last edited by VernonM on Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team