It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 pm 

First, Hi robnel. As you have probably read, we are pretty sure it is a Comcast problem. If you do call up the support, if you could relay their information here please? -.- Anyone have any idea what might be going on if they aren't blocking the site....because if a server was down, wouldn't other websites be down as well? (Thankfully, the forum is up! :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:03 am 

hi--the woman on the phone (from Comcast) said they don't block sites and that it's probably a firewall or setting problem. I have no problems with
any other sites. This forum works, yes, but the main freehostia login page (etc) doesn't. I do have FTP for two freehostia sites I do (one is for a college radio station) and I forgot the FTP password; with no way to get in to
"change" it, I had to go to a library and use their comp. to access
the freehostia site.

I have since "changed" the FTP password on that other site (the actual
password was encrypted but I had logged in so was able to change it)
and I am now doing whatever page revisions I need to do via the
Edit functions of FTP (Cute FTP). But I should be able to access freehostia main page.

Still the error page shows up here on this comp.

I don't know what provider the library uses (they're 2 blocks from
me) but it's prob Comcast. Thus I think the prob may be with a setting I have but who knows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 pm 

I have very good news. No, I can't just type in freehostia.com and go there, but we still can. Proxy!!! Not the best fix, but it is what I am using to type here. (I couldn't get to the forum without it, hopefuly this was just a temporary problem.) But I'm using beyondblocks.com, found through proxy.com. This is a quick fix, but it works. At least to get here.

And robnel, next time you are at the library, run a tracert (traceroute) from their computer to find out what their ISP is, or just ask them. ^.^ Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:23 pm 

Hi,

I called comcast yesterday. The lady I talked to was able to access the freehostia.com site from her desk. I had her email the freehostia support and they emailed me back saying that the problem is not on their end. I have a feeling this might not get solved very soon. I guess I will have to go somewhere else to access the site or use the proxy method(usually very slow).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:29 am 

OK, that did get me to the freehostia page (beyondblocks.com) though when I log in I just get a white page. OK, that was on Firefox.
On I.E. I get the following message:
Bad Request
:
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
: Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.
:

Hint: https://wwwtest.freehostia.com/
Bad Request

Then:
The page you're looking for wasn't found

Using the "wwwtest.freehostia.com" address on Firefox gives me
the "Page Load Error" page again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 am 

This exact same thing is happening to me. My ISP is also Comcast.

Tracert started saying "request timed out" on the 6th attempt as others reported. The only domains I can't access appear to be www.freehostia.com and cp.freehostia.com. I can access www.freehostia.com via a proxy server but cp.freehostia.com comes up as a blank page. (Maybe it's supposed to do that?) I can access my hosted websites via their domain names, but the subdomains are taking a very long time to load (at one point it starts contacting cp.freehostia.com and stalls, although the website the subdomain points to does eventually load up). Using a proxy the subdomains load immediately.

Do any of you who are having this problem use any type of router?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 am 

Exact same issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:28 am 

essol wrote:
Exact same issue.

Do you use a router?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:05 pm 

I use a linksys BEFSR41 router. What does that have to do with anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:03 pm 

azeey wrote:
I use a linksys BEFSR41 router. What does that have to do with anything?

When I contacted Comcast customer support they told me to try unhooking my router and see if that was causing the problem. Of course it wasn't :roll:, and I wanted to see if anybody who's having this problem doesn't use a router so I can tell them unequivocally that it's not a router-related problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 pm 

I'm having the same problem accessing the freehostia.com main page.

My ip address is

here's my tracert info:

C:\Documents and Settings\John>tracert freehostia.com

Tracing route to freehostia.com [64.72.112.12]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 30 ms 10 ms 10 ms ge-1-43-ur01.nchicago.il.chicago.comcast.net [68
.86.118.97]
3 10 ms 21 ms 14 ms te-8-4-ur02.nchicago.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.
87.230.226]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\John>

Last edited by ReverendJohn on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:53 am 

Hi,

I've been having the same issue. Want to take a guess as to whom my ISP is- Comcastic! (I'm being a little sarcastic here, sorry.) I called Comcast a couple of days ago after the awesome techies here at Freehostia explained what was happening and Comcast gave me the runaround. On Freehostia's defense, I have to say that they have the very best support I've ever seen... and I've used numerous web hosting companies over the years and so have a few of my friends. Freehostia blows the rest out of the water.

I hope Comcast doesn't think they're going to run Freehostia's customers off by blocking access to Freehostia--'cause it won't work on this one. I hope the rest of you will stick with this hosting company too no matter what Comcast thinks they're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:29 pm 

mamabear wrote:
I hope Comcast doesn't think they're going to run Freehostia's customers off by blocking access to Freehostia--'cause it won't work on this one. I hope the rest of you will stick with this hosting company too no matter what Comcast thinks they're doing.

I don't want to leave freehostia, but it's hard for us to continue using it when we can't log into our accounts and therefore can't so anything with them. :cry: (But I'm choosing to assume Comcast ISN'T doing this maliciously for that exact reason. Obviously I could be wrong...)

Do any of the people who are having this problem NOT use a router? When I speak to comcast I'd like to be able to tell them it's affecting people without routers too because they're going to ask.

BTW I wanted to point out that it seems like the problem we're having is that we can't access the specific IP number 64.72.112.12 (which is where cp.freehostia.com and www.freehostia.com both point). All the other freehostia subdomains I've found (including forums.freehostia.com) point to different IP numbers, and I haven't found any other ones I can't access. So if anybody contacts Comcast again about this maybe you can mention to them that it's specifically this IP number that we're having problems with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:19 pm 

I don't think I use a router; I have a desktop not a laptop and I use
a Motorola SurfBoard rented modem. And I have that problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:21 am 

Another Comcast user here. I'm also not using a router either (it died about a year ago).

This is actually a 2nd account that I needed to create while using a proxy, because for the 1st one I made the mistake of entering my comcast email address and the confirmation email vanished without any trace. It's not in screened, spam mail, or anything at all so it pretty much never even existed according to them. I got the confirmation instantaneously on my alt email on the 2nd account, so I'm guessing wherever those come from is included with whatever it is comcast is blocking.

I couldn't find an option to change the email I had entered, and I guess the board knew I had already just signed up from my IP and wouldn't allow me to register again but with a different email, so I needed to sign up the 2nd time using a proxy, lol.

I wonder if this happened to anyone else trying to register and post here as well recently?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next