It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: is this allowed?: gmail and free account e-mail add
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:10 pm 

This is what I did:

I set up an e-mail add in my free account here (blahblah@name.uni.cc). Then I set it to forward to my gmail account (blahblah@gmail.com)

Then I went to my gmail account, clicked settings in the upper right corner and added my e-mail add in freehostia (blahblah@name.uni.cc) to my other accounts.

Gmail sent a confirmation to my e-mail account in free hostia to confirm if it really was my e-mail account.

I got the e-mail (in both the webmail at my gmail inbox---since I already set blahblah@name.uni.cc to forward e-mails) then confirmed it.

In short, I could send e-mail as blahblah@name.uni.cc using my gmail account. Is this allowed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Actually if you are on Free account, the mail forwarding won't work, because the access to the SMTP server is restricted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:57 pm 

Isn't EMAIL@name.uni.cc a different service? If so, then what does this have to do with Freehostia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 am 

jazzy wrote:
Actually if you are on Free account, the mail forwarding won't work, because the access to the SMTP server is restricted.

OMG.. it looks like there's something wrong with my free account then.

The mail forwarding does work.

And yesterday when I tried sending mail using the webmail it actually sent that mail and I received it in my gmail inbox.

I stopped using the forwarding and deleted my e-mail adds in my account. I think you guys better disable those functions in my free account.

Want me to send you the account username?
I'd like to keep my free account here, even if it means losing the e-mail. I don't really need it because I already have the best e-mail account---gmail :wink:

oh and what I meant to say with e-mail@name.uni.cc was that I registered a uni.cc domain name at the hosted domain part "lost-moon.uni.cc." Thus I can make e-mail adds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:58 pm 

jazzy wrote:

Well jazzy, you may want to check this, I am pretty sure if you add a domain to your freehostia account, you can create an email name@mydomain_addedtofreehostia.com and have emails sent to that adress forwarded in copy to another account. This works just fine for me on the free service too, unless there has been a change lately.

As for OP I am not sure what you are asking:

1. You added your email@yourdomain.com to google, using google as a pop client, meaning just like outlook, google can receive emails from this adress into your inbox there.

2. You added your email here as a second reply adress on google. All this does is use google to send the email through your account there, but attaches the reply adress as email@yourdomain.com, so whoever receives and responds will see that email, rather than your google email. This is in no way related to freehostia or prohibited in any way. Google is the one offering the service and sending the email. This is the equivalent of telling a friend to email you back at email@mydomain.com rather than email@gmail.com

3. If you have control of your domains DNS at your registrar you can sign up for Gogle Apps for Your Domain, and have all your email handled by google. http://www.google.com/a/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am 

I have also used Gmail as a ‘catchall’ – and loved it until — their outbound server got flagged by Spamcop and my outbound messages starting getting delayed. Now try and contact a human being at G-Mail to get that resolved – 3 months and counting…..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team