It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 5.6 -> 7.0 upgrade question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 pm 

Hi people!

I am an experienced (jack of all trades) web master, but fairly shallow knowledge.

One of my sites is using 5.6 and I need to bring it into 7 as modules (WP) are dropping support for 5.

I tried to find an easy resource for 5->Upgrades. Ideally an auto code checker but failed so far. Reading into help articles, I get dumped straight into different functions, this is not helpful as my PHP knowledge is sketchy, I can "code" with examples, but not off the top of my head.
10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com

Is there a semi automated code checker?

AFAIK, my old code uses MySql_ functions which I am sure are killing the code when I flick the switch to 7. Would I be right in thinking thats the main thing I need to fix?

Can anyone who tread this path share their experience?

Last edited by giselegdot on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 5.6 -> 7.0 upgrade question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 am 

Hello,

The control panel doesn't have a tool to automatically adapt code to be compatible with newer versions of PHP. You can use the error reporting(display_errors) that will show if the code has any deprecated functions or errors.

It is indeed advisable to replace the mysql functions with their mysqli alternatives, but there are also other functions, such as "ereg_replace", that are deprecated in recent versions of PHP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: Moderators, Support Team